SUDBURY DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL
Opportunities for employment
Duties & Responsibilities
- Chair the safety boat, communications and training sub-committees
- Provide on-dock stroke instruction for novice teams and participants
- Support clinics, training sessions, and practices at the Northern Water Sports Center (NWSC) — typically Monday to Thursday from 5pm to 9 pm
- Manage the online practice booking system
- Supervise the operation of the volunteer dock crews training schedule
- Conduct 2 full inventory audits on all race equipment: Prior to the training sessions — May 31, 2018, Following completion of the festival — July 20, 2018
- Manage the training assistant’s sub-committees on race day
- Submit a report by the last day of employment
- Using the SDBF database, update team rosters and produce practice session reports daily
- Monitor the SDBF Paddlers Facebook group and report any issue of concern to the Race Committee / SDBF staff
- Monitor advisories issued by the health unit and inform paddlers
- Adhere to protocols, guidelines, and procedures provided by the Race Committee
- Support the setup and tear down of equipment and temporary infrastructure leading up to and immediately after the festival
- Ensure safety boat is ready for use and operate if required during lake practices
- Other duties as required and approved by the Race Committee Executive
- This is a fixed term contract commencing on Monday, May 28, 2018 and ending on Friday, July 20, 2018
- Hours of Work – The hours of work are 30 per week from May 28 to July 15 and 20 hours for the period from July 16 to 20, 2018 .
- Compensation – Payment shall be bi-weekly at $14.00/hr including vacation pay.
Festival Administrator’s Assistant
The Festival Assistant is responsible for providing support to the Festival Coordinator, the Sponsorship Coordinator and all sub-committees of the Organizing Committee as directed. This position is made possible with the support of the Canada Summer Jobs Grant Program. Candidates must be: currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution; age 30 or younger; and eligible to work in Canada. Preference will be given to applicants studying Public Relations, Communications, Event Management, or Business.
- Provide support to the Coordinators and organizing committees where required.
- Regularly update and maintain festival records and files
- Assist with volunteer coordination and recruitment
- Assist with sponsorship and inventory control as directed
- Provide clerical, communications and administrative support
- Communicate with various stakeholders and participants as directed
- Assist the organization as needed on race day (July 14)
- Flexibility in work schedule
- Communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Basic computer skills
- Proof of enrollment in post-secondary education required
- Previous experience with a not-for-profit group
Two Term Positions Available
- May 28 through July 15 for 30 hours per week – $14/hour
- June 4 through July 22 for 30 hours per week – $14/hour
Please submit applications by 4 p.m. on Friday, April 20 to email@example.com.